5 Easy Ways to Care for Your Leather Shoes
“Nothing we wear puts up with the beating our shoes do.”
Buying and caring for leather shoes is a more intricate process than buying runners to jog in or casual shoes for running errands. In this article, we will give you 5 easy and simple ways to take care of your leather shoes to keep them looking brand new.
Treating leather shoes is a different game than Nike or Adidas runners. They are not something you can “set it and forget it” when it comes to the level of care. Leather has this impression of being robust and sturdy material. However, that is not to say that a high level of care around cleaning is not required. A focus on the condition of the leather shoe will ensure that the overall lifespan is extended.
Here are 5 key factors to consider when buying your new pair of leather shoes:
- Waterproofing / Polishing
- Waterproofing is a must. Water can cause damage to your shoes and permanently destroy them if they are not properly waterproofed. If the leather is wet, there is a better chance of it getting dried out and eventually cracking.
Waterproofing should be done at least once a month; this however can change depending on how much rainfall occurs in your given area. If it does rain frequently where you live, we suggest waterproofing your leather shoes every couple of weeks. The same applies for polishing.
- Storage Shoe Tree
- Shoe trees are objects that are placed and sit inside the shoe to help the leather shoe keep its form and lengthen the lifespan of the shoe.
- The biggest advantage is the wood is also able to help dry out the inner lining of the shoe too.
- Shoe trees also help eliminate the odour too that can cling to your shoes.
- Store Shoes in Dust Bag
- Store the leather shoes that you are not keeping in your regular rotation in dust bags.
- The reason for storing your leather shoes in dust bags is that dust can stain and increase the deterioration of the leather shoe at a faster rate.
- Keeping your shoes in these bags stops the dust from entering but at the same time allows for the shoes to still breathe as needed.
- Rotate your Leather Shoes.
- It’s important to give your leather shoes time to breathe and restore themselves. It’s best to have 2 or 3 leather shoes if you wear them daily to give them a rest every few days.
- High-quality leather shoes, like ours, are going to last a long time but that does not mean they should be worn every single day.
- Quantity Versus Quality, The Age-Old Dilemma.
- Focusing on quality leather shoes will pay off in the future. Although the initial cost may be a bit hard to swallow you will see the benefits later on.
- When it comes to damage or wear and tear to your leather shoes, you have the option to repair your shoes versus buying a brand-new pair. You can polish the leather or replace the sole for under $80 and your knees and feet don’t suffer from a low-quality shoe.
- Over time, you will avoid having to repeatedly run around looking to buy a new pair of leather shoes to replace the previous pair, saving you money in the end.
At Crossover Footwear we want to make the time spent looking for that perfect leather shoe easier and more enjoyable. Let us help guide you on what to look for when shopping for that perfect pair of leather shoes.
Crossover Footwear leather shoes are made to endure the modern man's daily tasks. From the initial stages of design to the final finishing touches our shoes are meant to fit in with the wardrobe you already own. Our shoes are made with a focus on stylish quality to give more identity to your appearance through modest designs.
For more tips and tricks on all thing’s leather shoes, check out crossoverfootwear.com!